We are looking to recruit a Yard Foremen to join our busy team at Canford Recycling Centre.
Principle job responsibilities
Canford Recycling Centre deals with commercial, industrial, domestic and hazardous waste from a variety of customers from the general public, house clearance and local builders to multi-national waste companies.
This role will ensure waste is sorted efficiently in order to maximise recycling and revenue, and to reduce costs. The role will also include taking responsibility for the safe operation of the site and employees within this area.
- Hours: Contracted hours – 52 ½ hours per week average. Monday to Friday 7.00am – 5.30pm, Alternate Saturdays 7.00am – 12.00pm. Half hour lunchbreak unpaid
- Pay Rate: Basic rate £11.50 per hour – Equates to annual salary of £31,395.00. Overtime rate £17.25 (Time and a half)
- Additional: Foreman Allowance £135.33 per month (Guaranteed). First Aid Allowance £50.00 per month (Subject to holding or gaining FAW qualification). H&S Allowance £50.00 per month (Subject to holding or gaining IOSH/NEBOSH qualification)
- Location: Canford Recycling Centre, Arena Way, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 3BW
- Reportable to: Area Operations Manager
- Responsible for: Approximately 10 staff (Machine operators, labourers & agency staff)
- Completion of daily paperwork including:
- Daily Site Diary
- Load Inspections
- Permits to Work
- Induction of Agency staff
- To ensure waste is sorted efficiently in order to maximise recycling/recovery rates, reduce waste to landfill, and therefore maximise revenue and reduce costs. To visually monitor incoming loads and contact the weighbridge to let them know about any mis-description of waste, or undeclared additional items which could be charged to increase earnings (tyres, gas bottles, paint tins, etc). Oversee incoming customer vehicles use the site safely, and are quickly off loaded.
- Help maintain and operate the site in accordance with the Environmental Permit, Working Plan and Fire Prevention Plan. To monitor litter and ensure the site and its environment are maintained in a clean and tidy condition.
- Book outgoing transport for the movement of waste and ensure that all vehicles are loaded promptly.
- Maintain a high level of awareness for Health, Safety, welfare and security matters, and lead by example taking a pro-active approach to ensuring best practice and compliance. Oversee the health, safety and welfare of employees, customers, contractors and visitors whilst they are on site including completing Permits to Work and monitoring the use of PPE in line with Company Policy.
- Identify any training needs in liaison with the Area Operations Manager. To carry out Tool Box Talks, and ensure regular communication with site staff to encourage feedback and share new ideas. Assist with staff disciplinary meetings.
- Report all accidents, near misses and damage using the company reporting procedure.
- To ensure customer queries and complaints are dealt with promptly and professionally.
- Ensure that mobile and static plant is operated in a safe manner in compliance with company procedures. Oversee completion of ‘Daily Plant Check Sheets’ by machine operators, report any defects and to ensure defects are recorded and rectified, then file when completed.
- Any other duties as requested within your skills and competency as required by the Company.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Basic understanding of waste recycling operations, health and safety, plant and vehicles.
- Aware of the legal requirements relating to waste operations. (Training can be given)
- Understanding of basic logistics in order to optimise the operations.
- Ability to work as a leader and team member.
- First Aid at Work Certificate, or willing to go on a first aid course.
- Health & Safety qualifications (NEBOSH, IOSH, etc), or willing to work towards a qualification.
How to apply
If you know of anyone who might be a good fit for the role please send CV’s to email@example.com.